Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Fishing Becoming More Consistent




Hello Anglers!

Fishing on the Siuslaw is starting to become more consistent every day. This morning several boats picked up at least one fish. Fishing peaked just before high tide. There has been another good bite with the afternoon high tide as well. We were out last night and went 1 for 2 in a couple of hours of fishing. Harbor seals are really making a nuisance of themselves. We talked to 3 boats who all lost fish to seals last evening.


Here's this week's Siuslaw News story...


“Fish On” Means Give Way

Last week I was out trolling on the river and a very nice couple was trolling very close to me. As we were talking about how beautiful the weather was (and other topics), one of their rods goes down. The first thing I did was ask if it was running at me, and, since it was, I reeled up my line as fast as I could so me didn’t get tangled. I maneuvered my boat to stay out of their way, got past them a safe distance, and dropped my bait back down. I watched them fight the fish for about 5 minutes or so and saw other boats very close to them. I couldn’t tell exactly how close until I talked to them later. When I caught back up with them on another pass, they told me that another boat actually trolled RIGHT INTO THE BACK OF THEIR BOAT! In the process, they lost the fish. I couldn’t believe it. At times it can be hard enough to hook a salmon, and losing it because of the carelessness of another boat is inexcusable. During the next few weeks its going to be getting more and more crowded on the coastal rivers. Considering what I saw last week I thought it might be a good time to talk about river etiquette again.

Reel ‘Em Up, Fast!
If another boat hooks a fish close by, have everyone in the boat reel their baits up as fast as possible. A salmon can peel 100 yards of line (or more) very quickly. If lines get tangled, the chances of landing the fish go down dramatically. If someone else’s fish gets around my line, I cut the line. I have several pre-tied leaders ready to go just in case something like this happens. It only takes a few minutes to re-tie, and the angler who lands a fish thanks to you doing your part will be forever thankful.

Steer Your Boat Clear
After all lines are in, get your boat out of the way. The boat fighting the fish has the right-of-way, and its up to you to stay clear. Remember, the boat with the fish is pretty busy and hectic, whereas you can stay out of the way much easier. According to U.S. Coast Guard protocol, a boat “Not Under Command” has the right-of-way over all other boats. After you are in the clear, drop your baits back down.

Let Other Boaters Know What’s Going On
In close quarters, communication is very important. Some boaters don’t pay as much attention as they should, so don’t be afraid to shout, wave your arms, or blow the horn if its handy. And if you’re in a boat that gets yelled at, don’t take offense. There’s a chance you weren’t paying attention like you should be, and if someone has a fish on they’re excited! Don’t blow their chances by being stubborn or inconsiderate.

See you on the water,
Action Jackson

(Please send comments or questions to Action Jackson at 268-6944 or www.actionjacksonfishing.com)

No comments: